Variable phase oscillator & lfo.ÆMIT's experimentation lab is equipped with a quad speaker system, so we needed something to swirl those sounds around. Not content with a relatively simple quadrature oscillator, the Variphase quickly evolved into a polyvalent beast of epic proportions (excuse the hyperbole). Not your average oscillator this then.
In addition to a fixed 0° output, there's four separate outputs at either fixed quadrature phase, or adjustable phases equally & dynamically spread over a very wide range. A powerful mix output blends the 0° waveform with any other phase, taking care of your basic waveshaping needs.
Each output can produce a different waveform, and can be individually detuned against the 0° output. Yup, 5-note chords indeed, made easier to tune by activating its optional quantization function.
In the ÆMIT tradition everything needs to be voltage-controlled. So, obviously there's your obligatory exponential FM input and its 1V/Oct cousin, as well as a linear thru-zero FM input, a phase modulation input, and a 4-quadrant AM input for those lovely bell tones. Or screeching mayhem.
A sync input completes the picture.
The basic properties of the Variphase are nothing to sneeze at either.
An overall frequency range of 26 octaves, split up over 3 range bands. Pitch-perfect tracking over more than 12 octaves. Optional quantized tuning and frequency modulation.
Auto-saving of all settings at power-down, and auto-reloading at power-up. Resettable to a default state in case you got lost in its endless possibilities.
It operates at super high resolution with no aliasing whatsoever, and is completely jitter- and noise free. The Variphase core runs at zero latency, which allows for the elusive self-feedback patches.
So there it is, a single digital oscillator capable of mimicking an entire analogue powerhouse. With the accent on analogue.
The Variphase pairs well with our VCO II. Or with another Variphase. Or both.
- Variable phase, 0º, 90º, 180º and 270º outputs, each with selectable waveform.
- Mix output combines 0º and variable phase outputs.
- Selectable waveforms : Sine, Triangle, Saw, Ramp,Square, and Pulse.
- Phase Modulation from -360º to 360º on var output.
- Equal Spread phase modulation on es-a, es-b, and es-c outputs, providing up to +/- 720º, 1080º, 1440º respectively and simultaneously.
- Linear thru-zero FM input with attenuator.
- Exponential FM input, can be quantised in semitones.
- 4-quadrant AM input, with attenuator & initial gain control.
- 1V/oct input; 12 octaves perfect tracking (audio range), overall range is 26 octaves.
- Full Audio range : 5Hz - 20kHz
Low range : 0.05 (20 sec) - 200Hz
Sub range : 0.0005 (33min) - 2Hz
- Detune Interval and detune Fine Hz (constant detune over the whole frequency range) on each phase output with center dead-band. This allows 5-note chords to be played. Detune interval can be quantised in just intonation steps over + and - 1 octave.
- Sync input (hard).
- All modulations from DC to 20kHz.
- Zero latency allows for feedback patches.
- All settings and detunings are automatically saved when powered off, and restored when powered on again.
- Full 16-bit resolution, anti-aliased waveforms, no distortion.
- Skiff friendly : 41mm deep behind front panel, including power header.
- Shrouded header on the power supply connector, no risk for reverse polarity.
- Includes printed manual and power cable.
- 120mA +12V, 35mA -12V, 0mA 5V